Job Titles: Contract Admin Engineer, Construction Management Analyst, Construction Quality Assurance Specialist, Contract Admin Specialist, Construction Operations Engineer, Construction Field Pool, Highway Engineer, Project Engineer, Project Inspector, Engineering Technician
Occupational Series: GS-0810 Civil Engineer (Highway), GS-0301 Misc. Administrative and Program Analyst, GS-1910 Quality Assurance
Work Primarily Involves:
- Performance and/or oversight of on-site construction work
- Inspection and acceptance of facility or utility construction work performed by a contractor.
Competencies Needed for Success
- Understanding of highway facility construction means and methods
- Understanding of construction materials testing processes and procedures
- Understanding of schedule and coordination of construction activities
Technical competencies should include:
- Ability to apply primary concepts and accepted practices of highway construction
- Ability to apply concepts and requirements of work zone traffic control criteria and practices as described in the MUTCD
- Ability to read and interpret contract plans, specifications and working drawings
- Demonstrates knowledge of construction contract administration needs such as diaries, contract modifications and progress payments
- Conducts field inspections of major construction activities
- Reviews, analyzes and makes recommendations on project submittals
- Demonstrates knowledge of AASHTO and ASTM sampling and testing requirements and procedures as they relate to highway construction
Team and interpersonal competencies:
- Ability to balance interests of a variety of clients, to anticipate and meet the needs of a variety of customers/clients
- Ability to consider and respond appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of different people in different situations in a compassionate, sensitive and respectful manner
- Ability to develop and sustain cooperative working relationships in all aspects of the job
- Ability to develop networks and build alliances, to confidently engage across boundaries and to find common ground with a wide range of stakeholders
Western Federal Lands encourages the development of emotional intelligence, leadership skills, and technical skills at ALL levels of the organization. Explore your opportunities for self growth through leadership training.
If you'd like more information about employment at WFL you can send an email to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
- For more information regarding careers within the Federal Highway Administration visit the FHWA Employment Opportunities Site.
- For the official job site of the United States Federal Government, go to USAJobs. Here you can search and apply for Government job opportunities worldwide!
- For more Federal hiring resources including locating student jobs, summer jobs, scholarships, and internships go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). If you're already 'Working for America' and want to explore other career options, this is also the place for you!
- For professional development and training opportunities, go to the National Highway Institute (NHI).